Archive for New Orleans

Warrington House

Posted in Louisiana with tags on April 8, 2010 by Haunted History Blog

A postcard manufactured by the Louisiana News Company depicting the haunted Warrington House in New Orleans.

The Warrington House, formerly known as the LaLaurie House, is a building located at 1140 Royal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. The three-story structure was built in late 1831 as a home for Marie Delphine LaLaurie and her husband Dr. Louis LaLaurie, prominent socialites.

The LaLaurie House hosted many fashionable affairs in its early years. Such guests as Marshal Michael Ney, Napoleon’s famous commander, and the Marquis de LaFayette have slept in the famous mansion.

On April 10, 1834 a cook accidentally set fire to the home while the LaLauries were out-of-down. When neighbors rushed into the mansion to save valuables, they discovered numerous slaves chained in their quarters.

Fire fighters acknowledged finding slaves strapped to operating tables while others were confined to dog cages. The site of human body parts scattered throughout the attic reportedly caused many of these fire fighters to faint.

As a result of its turbulent history, the Warrington House is commonly referred to as the “Haunted House.” The primary ghost is a little slave girl who jumped from the roof to her death after Madame LaLaurie chased her off a balcony.

Others believe that Madame LaLaurie buried tortured victims in the home’s courtyard; also contributing to the home’s haunting. Although the mansion has recently been converted into a private residence of five apartments, reports of the paranormal continue.